After yesterday display of anarchy, I wanted to thank all of you again for your hard work these last 4 years. While there are millions of people who worked to defeat all that is Trumpism, there are many millions more who voted for him and many millions more who stood aside and passively watched, neither donating nor volunteering nor voting. None of you stopped working towards our goal of creating a more just and peaceful country. None of you quit feeling outraged. None of you quit fighting. If our fellow Americans who did nothing had done 1/10th of what you all did, yesterday would never have happened. You are my heroes.
Passivity disgusts me. And there were plenty of times when Trump did unconscionable things that should have motivated everyone to defeat him.
1. He put children in cages
2. He led an attack on our capitol
3. He dismissed Russian interference in our elections (Helsinki)
4. He did nothing when Khashoggi was killed
5. He pressured Ukrainians to manufacture a scandal about the Biden
6. He called white supremacists "very fine people"
7. He started a trade war with China
8. He imposed a Muslim ban
9. He appointed white supremacists like Bannon and Miller
10. He called John McCain a loser and refused to honor John McCain when he died
11. He never released his tax returns
12. He lied tens of thousands of times
13. He made millions off the presidency by doing things like doubling fees at his resorts, making government and military people pay for rooms at his resorts, giving money to his children for being "consultants" on his campaigns etc.
14. He stood down when our businesses and government were hacked by Russia
15. He pardoned his criminal cronies and criminal family
16. Tried to punish sanctuary cities for protecting immigrants
17. He tried to buy Greenland
18. He told police officers to rough up suspects
19. He called in the military to clear BLM Plaza for a photo op
20. He attacked Gold Star families
21. He tried to prevent transgendered students from using bathrooms for their gender
22. He withdrew from the Paris Climate Accord
23. He told people Covid was like the flu, he told them not to wear masks, he threw out Obama's pandemic plan, defunded WHO, eliminated the pandemic early warning program, failed to get adequate testing, failed to get adequate PPE, sent PPE to China and ventilators to Russia, failed to organize or fund a vaccine rollout
24. He gave classified info to the Russians
25. He gave trillions to big business with his huge tax cut running up the biggest deficit ever
26. He nominated a sexual assaulter for the Supreme Court
27. He separated children from their parents
28. Pushed conspiracy theories, fake news and propaganda
29. Etc., Etc., Etc.
You all knew he was dangerous. You all worked your butts off to stand up to the madness and fight at every chance. You persisted. I salute you. I am proud to know you. I am proud to stand with you in opposition of this monster and all his enablers.
As an American I am embarrassed that every American did not stand with us. I am embarrassed that 74 million mostly white people voted for Trump. For those people who think voting is enough, I am ashamed for you. For those who denied or dismissed Trump as not dangerous there are 370,071 people who are no longer with us as a result of his actions and inactions. People stood by and did nothing as their neighbors died. As Dante said: "The hottest places in hell are reserved for those in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality".
Thank you for all you have done. Thank you for staying enraged. We have won this battle. We have won Colorado, the House, the Senate and the Presidency. But we have not yet won the war. Our work is not done until we have beaten down the evil and made a country that we can proudly pass to our children and grandchildren.
January 6th will live in infamy. It will be the beginning of the end of the Republican party which is now divided in two but it is in our power to make it the day a bigger, more powerful movement to change our course. Let's forgive those who were not part of the resistance these last 4 years and welcome them to our efforts.
We are not done winning! Thank You!!!